The Gunnera manicata which was planted in North Staffordshire in 2004 came as a cutting from a plant which was firmly established in the magnificent Dunskey Estate Garden near Portpatrick, the historic harbour village in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. http://www.dunskey.com/
|The mother plant of the Gunnera manicata seen here in Dunskey Estate Garden|
A cutting from the plant was taken in 2004 to North Staffordshire, England
|Dunskey Garden Portpatrick|
|Garden at Portpatrick, Scotland 2004|
Dunskey Estate overlooks the Irish Channel.
There is a walled garden, and woodland garden
and restored nineteenth century greenhouses by McKenzie & Moncur.
|Portpatrick Harbour, Dumfries and Galloway, 2004|
|Gunnera manicata plant ready to be taken back to North Staffordshire|
This is half way up the spiral staircase in Castle Of Park - our holiday home in 2004
The Castle of Park is a 16th-century L-plan tower house near Glenluce, in Dumfries and Galloway, southwest Scotland. It is a category A listed building. We hired it for our annual holiday!
The castle was begun in 1590 for Thomas Hay, the son of one of the Commendators of Glenluce Abbey, and his wife Jonet MakDouel. It was completed by 1599. The building was extended in the 18th century, and was used by the Hay family until Sir John Dalrymple-Hay sold the Park estate in 1875; it was then left uninhabited.
At various times the building has also been known as "Park Hay", "The Park O' Luce", "Park Castle" and "Park House".
A program of restoration was carried out in the 1950s and 1960s by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works, including removal of the 18th-century wings. In the 1980s, additional work was done by the Landmark Trust. The building is now maintained using income from its use as holiday accommodation.
Landmark Trust here>